Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Book Review: Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys) by Amy Spalding

Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys) by Amy Spalding

I received this ARC from NetGalley and was published on April 7th.  When it became available on NetGalley, I knew I had to read it.  This type of story is my favorite young adult genre and I needed a fun, light-hearted novel to read.

Summary from Goodreads:

Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist meets Easy A in this hilariously realistic story of sneaking out, making out, and playing in a band.

After catching their bandmates in a compromising position, sixteen-year-old Los Angelenos Riley and Reid become painfully aware of the romance missing from their own lives. And so a pact is formed: they'll both try to make something happen with their respective crushes and document the experiences in a shared notebook.

While Reid struggles with the moral dilemma of adopting a dog to win over someone's heart, Riley tries to make progress with Ted Callahan, who she's been obsessed with forever-His floppy hair! His undeniable intelligence! But suddenly cute guys are popping up everywhere. How did she never notice them before?! With their love lives going from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye, Riley and Reid realize the results of their pact may be more than they bargained for.
 

My Thoughts:

Bloggers have compared this book to Nick and Norah's Playlist and even to the Scooby Doo "gang."  Me? I definitely agree. I thought Spalding created a very realistic set of characters that any teen who enjoys "YA Chick Lit" will fall in love with. I am not sure why, but I tend gravitate toward books with music, friendships, and love.  This one was definitely an easy read. Not my favorite chick lit book, but good enough that I kept reading.

What I Liked:
The characters and their stories...
Lucy, Nathan, Riley, and Reid are in a rock band and are playing gigs all around town. After Riley and Reid caught Lucy and Nathan together, Riley acted like most teen girls I know and stopped talking to her best friend out of pure anger.  How could she not be angry - her best friend kept a secret about a boy from her.  So what does Riley do?  Her and Reid created a pact/journal together to share their escapades finding love interests of their own.  

If you are looking for a laugh out loud, so very high school story, definitely check out Kissing Ted Callahan (and Other Guys).  I will be book talking this one in our English classes for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment