Friday, May 8, 2015

Book Review: Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen

Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen


I am not sure why, but I have never read a book by Sarah Dessen before Saint Anything.  Girls at my school love her books and we can't keep them on the shelves! I received my copy from Netgalley and I LOVED it.  I now want to go back and read her other books.

Summary from Goodreads:

Peyton, Sydney's charismatic older brother, has always been the star of the family, receiving the lion's share of their parents' attention and—lately—concern. When Peyton's increasingly reckless behavior culminates in an accident, a drunk driving conviction, and a jail sentence, Sydney is cast adrift, searching for her place in the family and the world. When everyone else is so worried about Peyton, is she the only one concerned about the victim of the accident?

Enter the Chathams, a warm, chaotic family who run a pizza parlor, play bluegrass on weekends, and pitch in to care for their mother, who has multiple sclerosis. Here Sydney experiences unquestioning acceptance. And here she meets Mac, gentle, watchful, and protective, who makes Sydney feel seen, really seen, for the first time.

The uber-popular Sarah Dessen explores her signature themes of family, self-discovery, and change in her twelfth novel, sure to delight her legions of fans.
 

My Thoughts:

First off - why have I never read a Sarah Dessen book before???????  Saint Anything is all about characters.  I love the main character, Sydney and her friend, Layla.  Both are REAL and have raw emotions throughout the novel.  I appreciate that Sydney is so concerned about what happened to the boy who was hit and paralyzed by her brother and had a desperate need to make sure he was okay. She is a lost soul looking for guidance and support outside her family and met Layla at the right time. Layla is the type of person I would look for in a friend.  She is loyal and protective and understands the situation that Sydney is in.  They both came from such different family backgrounds, and yet their support and friendship is key to this story. Layla's family takes Sydney in and helps her heal.  

The only character I really disliked was Ames, Peyton's friend from rehab. He weaseled his way into Layla's family and gave me the creeps. His obsession with Layla made me very uncomfortable and I wanted to shake Layla's mom wondering how she didn't see how frightening he really is. UGH!  

If you are looking for a book that is character driven, one focused on family dynamics and true friendships,  definitely read Saint Anything by Sarah Dessen.

No comments:

Post a Comment