Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Book Review: Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys

Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys


I was introduced to Out of the Easy two years ago and I am glad I finally committed to reading it.  If you are looking for a book with a mystery, a little romance, and a lot of secrets, you might enjoy this one as much as I did.

Summary by Goodreads:

It’s 1950, and as the French Quarter of New Orleans simmers with secrets, seventeen-year-old Josie Moraine is silently stirring a pot of her own. Known among locals as the daughter of a brothel prostitute, Josie wants more out of life than the Big Easy has to offer. 

She devises a plan to get out, but a mysterious death in the Quarter leaves Josie tangled in an investigation that will challenge her allegiance to her mother, her conscience, and Willie Woodley, the brusque madam on Conti Street. Josie is caught between the dream of an elite college and a clandestine underworld. New Orleans lures her in her quest for truth, dangling temptation at every turn, and escalating to the ultimate test.

With characters as captivating as those in her internationally bestselling novel Between Shades of Gray, Ruta Sepetys skillfully creates a rich story of secrets, lies, and the haunting reminder that decisions can shape our destiny.

My Thoughts: 

I have been meaning to read Out of the Easy since it was nominated for the Abe Lincoln Award in 2014.  When Between Shades of Gray was nominated in 2015, I read it right away, loved it, and moved this one to the top of my summer reading list.  Whereas Between Shades really felt like historical fiction, Out of the Easy is one that I think students will make connections with today.  The mob in this story reminds me of stories students have shared about friends and family members in gangs.  The main character, Josie, reminds me a lot of students who have dreams of going to college, but have no means of paying for it or their parents hold them back because they don't know what college is really about.  These students - who want to move away and define themselves by who they are and not who there family is or wants them to be.  I loved that the murder mystery was thread throughout the book.  It helped me understand the characters at a deeper level and think about what people do to protect their families, and how every decision we make, good or bad, can shape our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment