Saturday, July 18, 2015

Book Review: A Long Way Home by Saroo Brierley

A Long Way Home: A Memoir by Saroo Brierley



My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Summary by Goodreads:

When Saroo Brierley used Google Earth to find his long-lost birthplace half a world away, his story made global headlines. That story is being published in several languages around the world and is currently being adapted into a major feature film. Brierley was born in Khandwa, Madhya Pradesh, India. He currently lives in Hobart, Tasmania.


My Thoughts:

I came across A Long Way Home on the new book shelf at our school library. The cover in itself intrigued me and had "pick me up" all over it. I am always looking for books that broaden my perspective of the world outside of where I live and this one introduced me to a part of Indian culture that I had not already learned about from my husband's family. Throughout the part of the story where Saroo is lost on the trains and then on the streets of Kolcata, I was in shock of how no one questioned why he was by himself or who he belonged to. I was also amazed at the survival skills he had at such a young age to figure out how to find food and bounce from train to train / street to street without something horrible happening to him. For all Saroo had been through in his life, he never gave up hope that he would figure out where he was originally from and find his Indian family. The power of social media and technology helped Saroo find home. This book may not be for everyone, but I really enjoyed it and hope that it does become a movie!


No comments:

Post a Comment