Monday, December 15, 2014

Book Review: Get Happy by Mary Amato

Get Happy by Mary Amato

A few weeks ago I read Guitar Notes, by Mary Amato, and loved it so I picked up a copy of her new book, Get Happy, from the library.  

Summary from Goodreads:

In this poignant, realistic, contemporary YA by a state master list star, perfect for fans of Sarah Dessen and Gayle Forman, a young songwriter builds a substitute family with her friends in place of the broken family she grew up with.

A hip high school girl who loves music, writes songs, and is desperate for a ukelele, learns to her shock that her father did not abandon her years ago and has been trying to keep in touch. She begins to investigate him, only to discover that he has a new life with a new family, including the perfect stepdaughter, a girl who Minerva despises.
 
  
This book falls somewhere between 3 and 4 stars on my Goodreads rating scale.  As a Chicagoan, I was excited to see this story takes place in Evanston and I could picture the setting clearly in my mind.  The characters are ones teens can relate to and connect with throughout the story.  Get Happy has a similar format to Guitar Notes in that the main character loves music and wants to be a songwriter. Amato also includes lyrics and chords to all of Minerva's songs on her website, The Thrum Society.  It was definitely a quick read and one I think some of my students will like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment