Thursday, January 1, 2015

Book Review: If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan

Book Review: If You Could Be Mine by Sara Farizan

I came across this book in our school library before winter break and thought it might be similar to The Secret Sky by Atia Abawi.  Both books take place in the Middle East where arranged marriages are still the norm.  Where The Secret Sky focused on a love affair between a young man and woman, If You Could be Mine is about a hidden love affair between two young women.  In both books, love is not easy and there are consequences for their actions.  

Summary by Goodreads

Goodreads.com
In this stunning debut, a young Iranian American writer pulls back the curtain on one of the most hidden corners of a much-talked-about culture.

Seventeen-year-old Sahar has been in love with her best friend, Nasrin, since they were six. They’ve shared stolen kisses and romantic promises. But Iran is a dangerous place for two girls in love—Sahar and Nasrin could be beaten, imprisoned, even executed if their relationship came to light.

So they carry on in secret—until Nasrin’s parents announce that they’ve arranged for her marriage. Nasrin tries to persuade Sahar that they can go on as they have been, only now with new comforts provided by the decent, well-to-do doctor Nasrin will marry. But Sahar dreams of loving Nasrin exclusively—and openly.

Then Sahar discovers what seems like the perfect solution. In Iran, homosexuality may be a crime, but to be a man trapped in a woman’s body is seen as nature’s mistake, and sex reassignment is legal and accessible. As a man, Sahar could be the one to marry Nasrin. Sahar will never be able to love the one she wants, in the body she wants to be loved in, without risking her life. Is saving her love worth sacrificing her true self?


My Thoughts:

I really wanted to like this book, but after reading The Secret Sky, it just didn't seem as realistic to me. Had I read this first, I may have liked this one better.  I struggled a lot wanting to love the characters, but never did.  Both Sahar and Nasrin annoyed me. Sahar was so needy and never saw past her love for Nasrin.  She was so willing to change herself for this girl without even considering how her decisions will affect her future self and her family.  I realize that this happens because she is young and lacks confidence in herself. She doesn't know what her life will be like without Nasrin.  

I felt like Nasrin was a selfish, spoiled brat throughout the entire story.  She never looked past herself and how her actions affected others.  Even at the end of the book, I wanted to shake her and tell her to grow up.  I had hoped by the end, Nasrin would have grown up a bit, but I was left disappointed.

What makes me sad is that homosexuality is still considered taboo across the world.  We live in a society that makes it hard enough for teens to be "different" and because of this, young men and women struggle with their identities and lose sight of how wonderful they really are.  If You Could Be Mine does bring to light the struggles that teens face when they feel uncomfortable with themselves.  Even though I wasn't the biggest fan of the characters, I do think this is a worthwhile story to booktalk in class after break.  I am sure I will have students who can relate and connect with this book more than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment