Sunday, January 4, 2015

Book Review: More Than This by Jay McLean

Book Review: More Than This by Jay McLean

What started out as a typical high school prom story became a turn of events that led me to want to finish More Than This in one sitting.  Of course, my children would not allow it.  But, if I wasn't finagled into playing card games I would definitely have kept going.

Summary by Goodreads:

When Mikayla imagined her prom night, she envisioned a fairy-tale evening full of romance. So when betrayal and tragedy come in quick succession, Mikayla is completely destroyed. Suddenly, everything she loved and everyone she relied on are tragically, irrevocably gone.

Jake, a handsome boy she just met, happens to witness her loss. With no one to turn to, Mikayla is forced to depend on this near stranger and his family, and he in turn is determined to take care of her. But Mikayla—thrust into adulthood with no one to guide her—is desperate to contain her grief and hide what she considers to be her weakness. Mikayla and Jake both want more, but despite their growing closeness and intense chemistry, she tries to keep her distance and protect her heart. As he does everything in his power to win her trust, Mikayla must choose between remaining alone and safe or letting love in.


After finishing it last night, I definitely will say this one is for more mature audiences.  There is a lot of sexual tension between the two main characters and because of this, I would not feel comfortable putting this in the hands of a 9th or 10th grader.  The author's style of writing reminded me a lot of Colleen Hoover's writing.  She writes in a way that hooks the reader in and keeps you engaged.

I picked up this book via Netgalley and didn't notice that it was published a few years ago until I went to mark it read on Goodreads.  This is when I also realized that this isn't the only book in the More Than...series and I put the next one on hold at the library.  If you are looking  for a highly engaging romantic story similar to Colleen Hoover's books, check out More Than This by Jay McLean.

No comments:

Post a Comment